...tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming; Ephesians 4:14
Some Internal Contradictions
More Contradictory Mormon Doctrine
"...witnesses of the Book of Mormon who handled the plates and conversed with the angels of God were afterwards left to doubt and to disbelieve that they had ever seen an angel."
Joseph Smith himself called these men wicked and liars and by many other demeaning names. In the Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, pages 114-115, George A. Smith lists those who have left the Church and mentions specifically, among others, "the witnesses of the Book of Mormon." Martin Harris later claimed that he had a better testimony of "the Shakers Book" than he ever had of the Book of Mormon. Reading about these witnesses, one is drawn to the conclusion that they were unstable men and easily convinced; for example, Martin Harris changed his religion at least eight times. Some of the others started their own religions later.
1. Changes.. In writing the Book of Mormon, Smith claimed it was inspired of God, yet it has been edited, changed, and re-edited many times (2,000 times in 131 years) to try and take out all contradictions in the various writings of Smith.
a. In the book of Mosiah 21:28, it is declared that "King Mosiah had a gift from God," but in the original edition of the book, the name of the king was Benjamin. ( Either God made a mistake when He inspired the record, or Joseph made a mistake when he translated. The Mormons will admit to neither. )
b. I Nephi 19:16-20:1, when compared with the edition of 1830, reveals more than 50 changes in the "inspired Book of Mormons," words having been dropped, spellings corrected, and words and phraseology added and turned about.
c. In the book of Alma 28:14-29:11, more than 30 changes may be counted from the original edition, and on pg. 303 of the original edition the statement, "Yea, decree unto them that decrees which are unalterable, " has been expunged.
d. On pg. 25 of the edition of 1830, the Book of Mormons declares, "And the angel said unto me, Behold the Lamb of God, even the eternal Father." Yet, in Nephi 11:21, the later editions of the book read, "And the angel said unto me: 'Behold the Lamb of God, yea even the son of the eternal Father!'"
e. Also, on pg. 25 of the original edition is "Behold, the virgin which thou seest, is the mother of God." I Nephi 11:18 now reads: "Behold, the virgin whom thou seest, is the mother of the son of God."
2. Language. Smith claims the plates were in Reformed Egyptian characters, written by Mormon, a Nephite general and buried in Palmyra, New York. There is no evidence of this language through any history. ( In Mormon 9:32, 34, it states that the language was "reformed Egyptian" and that no other people knew their language.)
1 Ne. 1:2, etc., states that Hebrews who left Jerusalem and came to the Americas spoke Egyptian. It is a known fact that Hebrews spoke Hebrew, and their records were kept in Hebrew. Egyptians were their enemies. It is as absurd to think that Hebrews would have written their sacred history in Egyptian as to think that American History would have been written in Russian.
3. The Urim and Thumin..
(Numbers 27:21 & I Samuel 28:6) were mentioned as a means of ascertaining God's will in judicial matters, not to translate plates.
The Book of Mormons claims of vast civilizations, animals, etc., there cannot one shred of evidence be found to substantiate its claim. When people dig for worms in the Holy Land, they make discoveries The Bible has been proven by archaeology, cities, places, coins, clothing, swords, etc., have been found, but not one single place mentioned in the Book of Mormon has ever been identified. There are still people in the LDS Church who believe that archaeology has proven, at least to a degree, the Book of Mormon. Some missionaries are still using slide presentations of ruins from Mexico and South America, implying that they prove the Book of Mormon. But they are from an entirely different time period. They are ruins of idol worshipers who offered human sacrifices.
In Ether 7:8, 9, we read of steel and breakable windows (2:23) back in Abraham's time! Try to explain that to an archaeologist! Steel was not even developed until about 1400 years later.
At the end of the Book of Mormon, Moroni tells about a great battle that took place on the Hill Cumorah. Over two hundred thousand people, armed to their teeth, were killed on that hill. The story tells about their weapons, breastplates, helmets, swords, etc. Nothing has ever been found on that hill or anywhere else in this continent, as a matter of fact. Metal, helmets, swords, etc., do not disappear in a mere 1400 years. Before the LDS Church purchased the Hill Cumorah, it was literally dug full of holes and even caves, but nothing was ever found. (Joseph Smith even told about a cave inside of Hill Cumorah and how they - he and Oliver - went in and out of it. It supposedly had wagon loads of gold plates, Laban sword, etc.).
5. Botany ..
a 1 Ne. 17:5 talks about fruit and wild honey being products of Sinai desert (called Bountiful). Not possible!
b Wheat, barley, olives, etc., are mentioned, but none of these were in the Americas at that time.
c North America had no cows, asses, horses, oxen, etc. Europeans brought them hundreds and hundreds of years later. North America had no lions, leopards, nor sheep at that time. Horses, asses, and elephants were not here either.
d Honey bees were brought here by Europeans much later.
e Ether 9:18, 19, lists domestic cattle, cows and oxen as separate species! They did not even exist in the Americas at that time.
f Ether 9:30-34 talks about poisonous snakes driving sheep to the south. The Book of Mormon tells that the people ate the snake-killed animals, all of them! (v. 34). Jewish people could not have eaten animals that were killed that way, since Mosaic law forbids it!
g Ne. 20:16 and 21:12 talk about lions as "beasts of the forests." Lions do not live in forests or jungles, and they never lived in the Americas. No silk and wool clothing (nor moths) existed, as 1 Ne. 13:7; Alma 4:6; Ether 9:17 and 10:24 indicate, at that time either. Butter is also mentioned, but it could not possibly exist, since no milk-producing animals were found in the Americas at that time
6. Skin Colour..
Starting after the first 19 years or so, Laman and Lemuel and their descendants and followers (!) turned dark skinned because of their disobedience (2 Ne. 5:21). According to the Book of Mormon, dark skin color was a curse from God! This change of skin color is happening throughout the book. In 2 Ne. 30:6 we read that if Lamanites accepted the true gospel, they became "white and delightsome" (and since 1981 printing of the Book of Mormon, they become "pure") but if they left this true gospel, they became "dark and loathsome." People's skin color does not change if they believe or do not believe! Nor is the skin color a curse! The Book of Mormon teaches that Indians originated from these Jewish settlers. Indians are distinctly Mongoloid - they have the "Mongoloid" blue spot, specific blood traits, and their facial features are of typical Asian origin, not Semitic at all.
7. Ship Building..
1 Ne. 18:1 talks about ample timber that Jews used to make a ship. There is not ample timber in that area. It was a desert; it still is a desert. 1 Ne. 2:6-9 mentions a river named Laman that flows into the Red Sea. There is no river there and there has not been since the Pleistocene era.
In Ether, chapter 6, we learn that furious winds propelled the barges to the promised land for 344 days! Even if the winds were not "furious," but, for example, blew only 10 miles per hour, the distance traveled in 344 days would have been 82,560 miles, or more than three times around the world. Absurdity, to say the least! And why would the Lord instruct Jared to make a hole on top and bottom of each barge? (Ether 2:20.)
9. The Temple..
When Lehi left Jerusalem, according to the Book of Mormon, his group consisted of fewer than 20 people. Yet 19 years later the people had so prospered and multiplied in the promised land that they built a temple which "manner of construction was like unto the temple of Solomon: and the workmanship thereof was exceeding fine" (2. Ne. 5:16). Looking at what the Bible says about the construction of Solomon's temple, we find that it took thirty thousand Israelites, a hundred and fifty thousand hewers of stone and carriers, three thousand three hundred supervisors (I Kings 5:13-16) and about seven years to build it. (See also I Kings 6.)
And how many people could Lehi have had in his group after 19 years? The book further tells that in less than 30 years after arriving on this continent, they had multiplied so rapidly that they even divided into two great nations. Even the most rapid human reproduction could only have a few dozen in that brief time, and most of them still would be infants and children and about one-third older people. Not only did they divide into "two great nations," but throughout the book, about every three or four years, they had devastating wars that killed thousands (i.e., Alma 28:2).
11. Plagiarism.. from the King James Bible:
a. A comparison of the following shows that Joseph Smith made free use of his Bible to supplement the alleged revelation of the golden plates.
· Moroni 10 with I Corinthians 12:1-11
· Nephi 14 with Isaiah 4
· II Nephi 12 with Isaiah 2
· Mosiah 14 with Isaiah 53
· III Nephi 13:1-18 with Matthew 6:1-23
b. The Mormons claim that when Christ allegedly appeared on the American continent after His resurrection and preached to the Nephites he quite naturally used the same language as recorded in the Bible.
c. They also maintain that when Nephi came to America he brought copies of the Hebrew scriptures, which account for quotations from the Old Testament. ( It is quite miraculous how these plates on which the scriptures were inscribed, somehow or another, under translation, came out in perfect King James English without variation approximately 1,000 years before the 1611 KJV was written.)
12. Huh! Ether 15:30-31 says that after Shiz was beheaded, he raised up and struggled for breath!!?
Some Internal Contradictions
Adam - Earth Dust
Adam was made from the dust of an earth, but not the dust of this earth. Brigham Young, (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 3, p. 319).
Adam’s body was created from the dust of the ground, that is, from the dust of this ground, this earth. Joseph Fielding Smith, (Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1, p. 90).
Adam - God
We denounce [the Adam-God theory] and hope that everyone will be cautioned against this and other kinds of false doctrine. Spencer W. Kimball, (Deseret News, Oct. 9, 1976).
How much unbelief exists...in regard to one particular doctrine...which God revealed to me — namely that Adam is our father and God. Brigham Young (Deseret News, June 18, 1873).
Young taught his Adam-God theory as a revelation for over twenty-five years, stating that all who did not accept Adam as our god would be condemned!
God Increasing in Knowledge
God himself is increasing and progressing in knowledge, power, and dominion, and will do so worlds without end. Wilford Woodruff, (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p. 120).
The doctrine “God increases in knowledge as time goes on”...is very dangerous. I don’t know where the Lord has ever declared such a thing. Joseph Fielding Smith. (Doctrines of Salvation, vol. 1, p. 90).
Now, remember from this time forth, and forever, that Jesus Christ was not begotten by the Holy Ghost (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1, p. 51). Brigham Young
And behold, he shall be born of Mary...she being a virgin, a precious and chosen vessel, who shall be overshadowed and conceive by the power of the Holy Ghost, and bring forth a son, yea, even the Son of God. Book of Mormon (Alma 7:10).
Now the birth of Jesus was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost. Bible (Matt 1:18). .
"There is no hell. All will find a measure of salvation.". John A. Widtsoe, Joseph Smith: Seeker After Truth, Prophet of God (Salt Lake City, UT: Deseret News Press, 1951) 177-78.
(At death the individual's spirit goes either to paradise to later be judged and offered one of the three degrees of heaven, or his spirit is sent to perdition where it is given a chance to repent and thus gain a higher heavenly option. Perdition, commonly known as Spirit-Prison Hell, is a temporary state even though it lasts more than a thousand years. )
It is interesting to note that the Book of Mormon does not seem to agree with the Doctrine and Covenants where it clearly states there is no second chance for repentance after death. "For behold this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God....Do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end...if ye have procrastinated the day of your repentance even until death, behold, ye have become subjected to the spirit of the devil, and he doth seal you his; therefore, the Spirit of the Lord hath withdrawn from you, and hath no place in you, and the devil hath all power over you; and this is the final state of the wicked.". Book of Mormon, Alma 34:32.
Blacks never to hold priesthood in this life.
Bruce R. McConkie - In the Pre-existent eternity there was a war in heaven. "Of the two-thirds who followed Christ, however, some were more valiant than others. ... Those who were less valiant in pre-existence and who thereby had certain spiritual restrictions imposed upon them during mortality are known to us as the negroes. Such spirits are sent to earth through the lineage of Cain, the mark put upon him for his rebellion against God and his murder of Abel being a black skin. (Moses 5:16-41; 12:22) Noah's son Ham married Egyptus, a descendant of Cain, thus preserving the negro lineage through the flood. (Abraham 1:20-27)
“Negroes in this life are denied the priesthood; under no circumstances can they hold this delegation of authority from the Almighty. ... The present status of the negro rests purely and simply on the foundation of pre-existence. ... The negroes are not equal with other races where the receipt of certain spiritual blessings are concerned, particularly the priesthood and the temple blessings that flow there from." Mormon Doctrine (1958 ed.), pp. 476-477 (1972)
All worthy males can hold priesthood.
Bruce R. McConkie - This edition has all the above parts edited out of this section, and they are replaced with new wording that reflects the 1978 revelation that allowed blacks to hold the LDS priesthood. Mormon Doctrine (1966 ed.), pp. 526-528 (1979)
Deacon must be a man with a wife and family.
Brigham Young - Quoting the Apostle Paul - "Says he, 'I dare not even call a man to be a Deacon, to assist me in my calling, unless he has a family.' It is not the business of an ignorant young man, of no experience in family matters, to inquire into the circumstances of families, and know the wants of every person. ... select a man who has got a family to be a Deacon, whose wife can go with him." Journal of Discourses, vol. 2, p. 89 (1854)
"A boy who has been baptized and confirmed a member of the Church and is worthy may be ordained to the office of deacon when he is twelve years old." Gospel Principles, 1992 ed., p. 88
Joseph died after shooting two or three people.
John Taylor - Recounts final minutes of Joseph Smith's life and how he shot and wounded two or three people, two of whom died, before Joseph himself was murdered. History of the church, vol. 7, p. 102-103 (1844)
Account of Joseph Smith's death describing his returning fire with a six shooter. History of the church, vol. 6, p. 618 (1844)
Joseph's death patterned after that of Jesus. He went to his death like a lamb to the slaughter. (D&C 135:4)
"When Joseph went to Carthage to deliver himself up to the pretended requirements of the law, two of three days previous to his assassination, he said: 'I am going like a lamb to the slaughter; but I am calm as a summer's morning; I have a conscience void of offense towards God and towards all men. "
"... the life of Joseph Smith was in some degree patterned after that of his Master, Jesus Christ. ... Like his Master, Joseph Smith also shed his blood in order that the final testament, the reestablishment of the new covenant, might be in full effect (see Heb. 9:16). " The Ensign, June 1994, p. 22.
There is archaeological evidence for the geographical location of the Book of Mormon civilizations.
"... there are other external evidences of the authenticity of the Book of Mormon. These are the archaeological evidences that have been unearthed in regions of Central and South America. [Shows pictures of Aztec, Toltec and Mayan ruins.] These remnants of the civilizations that once flowered in the Western Hemisphere are supporting proofs that the Book of Mormon is true." What is the Book of Mormon, pamphlet published by LDS Church, 1982, p. 12.
The Lord has not yet revealed the geography of the Book of Mormon.
Article entitled "Geography Problems" -
"The geography of the book of Mormon has intrigued some readers of the volume ever since its publication. But why worry about it? Efforts to pinpoint certain places from what is written in the book are fruitless ...
To guess where Zarahemla stood can in no wise add to anyone's faith. But to raise doubts in people's minds about the location of the Hill Cumorah, and thus challenge the words of the prophets concerning the place where Moroni buried the records, is most certainly harmful. And who has the rights to raise doubts in anyone's mind. ...
Why not leave hidden the things that the Lord has hidden? If he wants the geography of the Book of Mormon revealed, He will do so through His prophet, and not through some writer who wishes to enlighten the world despite his utter lack of inspiration on the point.
Some authors have felt 'called upon' to inform the world about Book of Mormon geography and have published writings giving their views. These books, however, are strictly private works and represent only their personal speculations." Editorial, Church News, p. 16 (July 29, 1979)
More Contradictory Mormon Doctrine
We invite all honest hearted Mormons to examine their own "inspired scriptures" and official church doctrine books to see if they can honestly believe them all. Take the time to look up all the following references in the libraries in your stake houses so you can deterime that they are in context and correct
Is God An Exalted Man?
- NO!" Believest thou that this Great Spirit, who is God, created all things." Alma 18:28. BOM
- YES! "The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's, the Son also..." D&C 130:22
NO!"God is a Spirit.", John 4:24 ; God is not a man.", Num. 23:19
Are The Father, Son And The Holy Ghost One God?
- YES!"Which Father, Son and Holy Ghost are one God, infinite and eternal."D&C 20:28
- NO!..."Father, Son, and Holy Ghost comprise the Godhead. As each of these persons is a God...a plurality of Gods exists." M.D. , pps. 576,577.
- YES!"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost, and these three are one." 1 John 5:7
Is God Eternal?
- YES! "For I know that God is not a partial God, neither a changeable being; but he is unchangeable from all eternity to all eternity." Moroni 8:18 BOM
- NO! "We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea.." M. D. p.321
- YES!"The eternal God is thy refuge." Deut. 33:27
Does God Change?
- NO! "There is a God in heaven, who is infinite and eternal, from everlasting to everlasting, the same unchangeable God." D&C 20:17
- YES! "We believe in a God who is Himself progressive,...whose perfection consists in eternal advancement.." Articles of Faith, p.430
- NO!"For I am the LORD, I change not." Mal. 3:6 NO! "God is Spirit.", John 4:24 ; God is not a man.", Num. 23:19
Is There A Plurality Of Gods?
- NO!"The Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost are one,""..and whoso shall declare more or less that this, and establish it for my doctrine, the same cometh of evil." 3 Nephi 11:27,40 BOM
- YES! "These three are the only Gods we worship. But in addition there is an infinite number of holy personages, drawn from worlds without number, who...are gods."M.D. p.576,77
- NO! "I am He. Before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me." Isaiah 43:10
Can Men Be Gods?
- NO!"Now Zeezrom said: Is there more than one God? And he answered, No." Alma 11:28,29 BOM
- YES! "Then shall they (those resurrected) be gods, because they have no end." D&C 132:20
- NO! "Thus saith the Lord...besides me there is no God." Isa.44:6
Did God Create Man?
- YES!"And I, God, created man in mine own image." Moses 2:27 P.G.P.)
- NO! "Man was also in the beginning with God"..."For man is spirit." D&C 93:29,33
- YES! "And the LORD God formed man..." Genesis 2:7
Can God Be Seen?
- NO! "For without this (the authority of the Priesthood) no man can see the face of God, even the Father and live. D&C 84:22 (J.Smith did not have Priesthood when he claimed to see God.)
- YES! "And he (Moses) saw God face to face, and he talked with him...Moses could endure his presence." Moses 1:2, P.G.P.
- NO! "No man hath seen God at any time...the only begotten Son...hath declared him." John 1:18
Is Jesus The One True God?
- YES! "Blessed be the name of the Most High God. And they did fall down at the feet of Jesus and did worship him. 3 Nephi 11:17 BOM
- NO! "Jesus Christ a separate and distinct personage...three distinct personages and three gods." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith by J.F. Smith, page 370)
- YES! "Now unto the King Eternal, immortal, invisible, the ONLY wise God..." (Speaking of Jesus Christ) 1 Timothy 1:17
Is Jesus Christ Eternal?
- YES! "..from all eternity to all eternity, the Great I AM, even Jesus Christ." D&C 39:1
- NO! "Christ, the Firstborn, was the mightiest of all the spirit children of the Father." M.D. p.590
- YES! "whose goings forth have been...from everlasting." Micah 5:2
Was Jesus Born Of A Virgin?
- YES! "And behold, he shall be born of Mary at Jerusalem (!)...she being a virgin." Alma 7:10 BOM
- NO! "Christ was begotten by an Immortal Father in the same way that mortal men are begotten by mortal fathers." M.D.p.547
- YES! "When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child." Matthew 1:18
Is Jesus The Way To Salvation?
- YES! "Behold, Jesus Christ is the name...there is none other name whereby man can be saved." D&C 18:23
- NO! "the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints holds the keys of salvation for all men now living..." M.D. p.411
- YES!"...one mediator between God and men, the man, Jesus Christ." 1 Timothy 2:5
Does Christ's Blood Cleanse Us From All Sin?
- YES! "..salvation was, and is, and is to come, in and through the atoning blood of Christ, the Lord Omnipotent." Mosiah 3:18 BOM
- NO! "..for the blood of Christ alone under certain circumstances will not avail." (for atonement of sins) M.D. p.93
- YES!"...and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from ALL sin." 1 John 1:7
Is Salvation By Grace, Not Works?
- YES! "And we know that justification through the grace of our Lord and Saviour, is just and true." D&C 20:30
- NO! "That by keeping the commandments they might be washed and cleansed from all their sins..." D&C 76:52
- YES! "For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves it is the gift of God; Not of works..." Eph. 2:8,9
Is There Salvation After Death?
- NO! "For behold, if ye have procrastinated the day of your repentance even until death...the devil hath all power over you; and this is the final state of the wicked." Alma 34:35 BOM
- YES! "..in relation to the dead...For their salvation is necessary and essential to our salvation...that they without us cannot be made perfect." D&C 128:15
- NO! "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgement." Hebrews 9:27
IS Hell Everlasting Destruction?
- YES! "yea, they were encircled about by the bands of death, and the chains of hell, and an everlasting destruction did await them." Alma 5:7 BOM
- NO! "Whosoever, therefore receives God's punishment receives eternal punishment, whether it is endured one hour, one day, one week, one year or an age." Plan of Salvation p.30 (Pamphlet Distributed by Elders)
- YES! "And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever; and they have no rest day or night." Revelation 14:11
InPlainSite.org Note: The importance of the subjects of Heaven and Hell cannot possibly be over stated, since one or the other is the final, unalterable and eternal destination of every one of us. If salvation is deliverance from Hell, then Hell must be thoroughly understood! The study is not an easy one. On the surface there appears to be an enormous amount of conflicting arguments, with both sides presenting seemingly compelling Scriptural evidence… The deeper one delves into the subject the less persuasive the argument in favor of the traditional view become. See Section on Hell